Thursday 14 November 2013

Chicken and mango stir fry Supper

This evening I was quite apprehensive as to whether I should be challenging myself this evening as I felt quite guilty recently. However I guess seeing the doctors today made me realise that why not try it to be fair??

So I stuck to my plan and cooked a recipe I had found on the BBC Good food website which allowed me to try using up the mango which I have in my fridge and combine it with chicken in a vietnasese style dish. Something which at the moment I tend to fancy; just the wholesome fresh flavours I think. The ability to combine a range of lovely healthy veggies into one dish and have a tender crunch in every mouthful - I do not feel guilty as I have this meal but rather a happiness inside as I give my body a sort of nutritious hug =] haha.

Anyway, here it is...  

Cooking in the saucepan


Chicken & Mango stir fry - courtesy of 'BBC Good food'

Ingredients: 
1 bunch spring onions
a small nugget of root ginger
1 garlic clove
130g ripe mango
1 chicken breast
100g frozen mixed veg (carrot, peas, sweetcorn & green beans)
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp red chilli, chopped
1/2 lemon, juice only
Handful beansprouts
2 Carrots, julienne
1 courgette, julienned
chuck of cucumber, deseeded, halved and sliced
1/2 red pepper, sliced
shredded lettuce
rice noodles, to serve

Method:

1. Place one chicken breast into the steamer and steam for about 15 mins or until cooked. Slice the chicken into strips.

2. Trim the roots and tops off the spring onions and slice diagonally. Peel and grate the ginger and garlic. Cut the mango lengthways on either side of the stone, then peel off the skin and chop the flesh into cubes.

3. Cook the spring onions with water then add ginger and garlic. Cook for 30 seconds, then add the mango and frozen veg for a further 1 minute.

4. Return the chicken to the pan and add the peppers; splash in the soy and chili. Stir until evenly mixed, then cover and cook for a further 2 minutes until the chicken is tender and the veggies are slightly softened.

5. For the last few minutes add in the beansprouts, carrot, courgette, cucumber and then the rice noodles. Stir everything together in the pan and serve in a dish on top of a bed of lettuce.
Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment