Sunday 9 February 2014

Today will be a productive day.. I hope...

Today felt different. My brother had gone out with a friend who was visiting for the weekend, ‘Mark’, all yesterday day and night; I hadn’t seen him and I was expected him at home on the early hours of today. I woke up in the night to go to the loo when I couldn’t see him in his bed – although I did know his friend was going to sleep here whilst my brother slept downstairs on the sofa. But his door was wide open with no evidence of any persons present?
I think I must have got worried in the night and so couldn’t sleep very well. Therefore I was led in my bed tossing and turning from ~4.30am till 6.00am to which I spent most of my night browsing through my Instagram feed. How could I sleep now, all these beautiful, inspiring pictures has my mind going over in thought of what I could do as it provokes various ideas in my head,
I managed to sleep a tad longer before getting up at 7.00am. Recently I have been having a dry mouth which I think is also what had kept me up as a result of catching the ‘lurgy’ from my mother =[ I was looking forward to my ;every other night smoothie bowl’ to which I would combine frozen blueberries and raspberries in the blender, creating a beautiful rich berry red mixture which fills my lovely blue spode bowl and topped with pomegranate jewels and cinnamon.
However, I had a to do list to accomplish for today of things I wanted to get done. Firstly was to strip my bedding and put this into the wash as its my ‘’Sunday bath night!’ haha.
Once I had done this I got my breakfast, noticing that my brother was in fact home and he was sleeping in the lounge. I was worried about running the food processor, fearing that it will wake everyone up… but it didn’t =] I gather they must have had a good night last night then!

I sat on my own. In the kitchen. At the breakfast bar. At an ‘earlier’ time than I would normally. Suddenly a thought came to mind… How about I attempt to try making the ‘Vegan pancakes’ from the ‘One in gradient chef’ blog? Using my phone I glanced over the recipe to check for ingredients and happened to make some alterations to produce something which I could try that would satisfy my ED and be something too that may family could enjoy also…

Before I got started I must get myself ready for the day ahead! I challenged myself today too... CHANGE WHAT I DO WITH MY HAIR... my flowers were dying which was sad, but I thought to continue the life of one single stem and apply int to my hair =]

Not much, but its a change I guess. Little steps...

(almost) Vegan Pancakes - adapted from 'one ingredient chef'

Ingredients
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon ground flax seed
1 cup + 1 tablespoon skimmed milk
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Method

Step One: Flax Egg
One of the most exciting parts about this recipe is that it uses no banana. So many vegan pancake recipes rely on banana to hold things together. This makes the batter too dense, for one, and it also adds a banana taste (not surprisingly). Instead, we’ll use a flax egg, which is 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 2.5 tablespoons of water. Whisk these together in a bowl and set aside to thicken.

Step Two: Mix Carefully
In a medium mixing bowl, add the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda) and stir together.

In a separate bowl, add the milk and apple cider vinegar to create buttermilk. Then add the flax egg. Mix the wet ingredients.

Now, carefully mix the two together without stressing the batter. To do this, form a “crater” in the middle of the dry ingredients, then pour the wet ingredients into the crater. Slowly stir until most of the batter is incorporated. A few small lumps are your friend, too much mixing is not. 

#Step Three: Hot Pan#
(Warm the pan over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes. Then, use a paper towel to spread a little vegetable oil over the bottom of the pan. Test the temperature by cooking one small pancake first. If it sizzles when it hits the pan and forms bubbles after 1-2 minutes without burning, your temperatures are right.
Use a 1/4 cup measurement to create the perfect 4-inch pancakes. Again, wait 2 minutes for large bubbles to form on the surface, then flip and cook for another 90 seconds. Store the first batches in a warm oven while you finish the rest. Then, top with blueberries, maple syrup, chocolate, peanut butter, coconut whipped cream, or whatever you love on pancakes.) -> I tried this without the oil as an experiment only to find my non stick frying pan happened to stick and therefore burn the pancake =[ Time to try a different alternative..

Step three: THE GRILL
I wondered about how would I be able to cook the pancakes without the need of using any oil. I pondered the idea of the grill and therefore switched it onto grill 2 and 200'C. Once preheated, onto a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, spoon 1/4 cup of the mixture onto the tray and place immediately into the grill. Once the top looked browned and sides slightly risen, remove from the grill and flip over to cook the underside.

The Verdict:

They looked okayish... definitely needs to be perfected.
Tasted by my mother with a topping of lemon and caster sugar
"Not much taste, but I don't know whether that is because I have lost my sensation of taste due to fighting the lurgy" 
Not the best taster I should have asked to try but I guess she appreciated them cooked by any means.

I challenged myself to try a small fragment of one pancake. I thought it may have in comparison to scotch pancakes I have had not since my first hospital admission, been a bit more dense in texture; yet this could be due to the fact I had left the mixture sitting around for a tad whilst I sorted the failed first attempt of the frying pan! However I do think that the flax egg is a good substitute to the egg white as it did its done in holding the mixture together.

So all in all, not a very successful morning, but one which would need some careful adaptations made in terms of 
1. Taste (sweet and savoury touches)
2. Cooking method (Are they still dense with freshly made mixture or if so would the oven be a better option set on high heat?)
   
Oh. I was able to this week book a morning Sunday delivery from waitrose which was due between 9 - 11 am so I was required to postpone my pancake making. I was happy to find however in our shopping this year a little ltd edition clipper tea box - it was so pretty I had to take a piccie! =] haha

No comments:

Post a Comment