Friday 18 October 2013

Cranberry Muesli Breakfast

Cranberry Muesli - COURTESY OF Eating well site

Right. This is it. I'm going in! Into the world of porridge oats!

I have always had a fondness of the healthy nutrition of oats and how natural this product is, yet it has indeed somewhat been a rather fear food of mine. I just cannot get over the fat content within the oats - so I tend to stick to only the lower fat options like cornflakes, rice krispies or weetabix. But I realise that the oats are in fact nature in its purest form so if I am to be eating clean this would in a sense be the best way??
But even though my head is giving me a bit of grief about this decision I am making for myself - I'm testing it as an experiment. 

I found this recipe as a starter into the world of oats from the eating well website for 'cranberry muesli'. It was lovely to be able to do all the thinking a prep work in the evening so that in the morning all what is required for me to do is take it out of the fridge after it soaking overnight and serve it with a cut up grapefruit half. I think in hindsight I should cut the fruit up the night before too as it is a bit of a pain in the morning. 

I woke up in the morning to try this new found breakfast. The verdict.
Not sure. It tasted a tad odd. I can't pin point what. Perhaps it was the mix of cranberries with pear juice? Plus it was cold which I'm not use to. I topped it also with frozen blueberries as those little super-berries need to be in here somewhere! =]



CRANBERRY MUESLI - adapted recipe from the EATING WELL site

Ingredients:
60g cup low-fat plain yogurt
60 ml Organic pear juice 
3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats, (not quick-cooking or steel-cut)
1 tablespoon dried cranberries
1 tsp sunflower seeds
1/2 tablespoon wheat germ
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
pinch of salt

Method

  1. Combine yogurt, juice, oats, cranberries, sunflower seeds, wheat germ, vanilla and salt in a medium bowl; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours and up to 1 day.

No comments:

Post a Comment