Friday 11 October 2013

Lentil Tuesday's Supper...

Okay. So as I had planned for this evening to have one of my recipe box recipes I decided to wake up quite early-ish in the morning to not only 'get ready for the day ahead', but to also be organised enough to cook my supper now and save me time later; no doubt I will be feeling quite lethargic. I came across a recipe on the Martha Stewart website for Curried lentils in tomato sauce which I thought sounded up my street in terms of pairing both tomato with spices and thickened with wholesome protein lentils =]

Originally I would have had this evening meal served with brown rice as it is high fibre - however I didn't as I realised that this would take another 30 minutes. I wouldn't mind waiting the 30 mins as I do have plenty of time after all since making this first thing in the morning; Oh how wrong I am - as usual I left this too late as I ended up getting caught up in my long to do list and just had to finish a little task once I had started it. As a result, I didn't want to extend the evening even more by waiting for rice! Instead, I opted for some steamed sweet potato which was left over from a previous meal I had created. 

Well, here it is -   




Curried Lentils in tomato sauce - courtesy of Martha Stewart

1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1 piece fresh ginger (2 inches long), peeled and finely grated
Coarse salt
1 teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon garam masala 
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
(13 ounces) tomato passata 
1/2 cup Dried red lentils
1 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from 1 lime)
1/2 cup chopped Red pepper
1/2 Sweet potato, for serving

Method

STEP 1
In a large saucepan, add onion and ginger; season with salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to brown, 5 to 8 minutes.
STEP 2
Add spices; cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 to 60 seconds.
STEP 3
Add passata, lentils, and 1 cup water. Simmer until slightly thickened, ~30 minutes. Stir in lime juice and cilantro; season with salt.
STEP 4
Serve lentil mixture with steamed sweet potato wedges

No comments:

Post a Comment