Wednesday 23 October 2013

Vietnamese spring rolls - first attempt = POOR! =]My

My poor first attempt at making a spring roll!

Bowl of vermicelli noodle salad on the side due to not all fitting into the three wraps

 Supper was decided due to the fact that the raw prawns I had defrosted yesterday needed to be used up. I was inspired by my other previous post for Prawn & Bulgar salad with soy, ginger and lime dressing  and so used the dressing to marinade the prawns before cooking and then steamed them and then steamed the veg briefly - retaining the crunch. 

I noticed browsing sainsbury's that they were promoting a new product by 'Nem Viet' for a 'vietnamese spring rolls kit'. I had always wanted to try vermicelli noodles and so I gave this a try.
I followed the recipe for these spring rolls via their website and adapted it slightly.

VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS 
SERVES 4

3 Rice paper wraps
portion of dry vermicelli noodles
8 Raw king prawns, Steamed and halved lengthwise
50g lettuce, iceberg or little gem, shredded
50g Carrot, julienne.
handful of beansprouts
cucumber wedge, scoop seeds, halved and cut into half moons

Method:
1. Place noodles in a bowl of boiling water, cover and leave to soften for 5 minutes, then drain and rinse.
2. Fill a large bowl with warm water. Submerge a sheet of rice paper in the water for 2 seconds, then place flat onto a clean, dry plate. The paper will continue to soften.
3. Place 3 prawn halves, some noodles, carrot and lettuce in the centre of the rice paper, making sure to leave room at the sides.
4. Fold the bottom of the rice paper completely over the filling, then fold sides in and roll up as tightly as possible. Practice makes perfect!
5. Repeat for each sheet of rice paper used. 

Cut each roll in half and serve with dipping sauce. 

I couldn't fit all my prepped veg into the wraps and I didn't want to leave it to waste so I made some extra dressing from the previous post I had posted and added this to the veg with the prawns and noodles.

Lovely crunchy treat - but again I think I may have over indulged and now I feel crappy =[

No comments:

Post a Comment