Monday 18 November 2013

Vegan Monday! - Raw Lemon & Coconut truffles


No..., This isn't just, M & S (Sainsbury's) box of 18 Eggs...
...This is Bee's surprisingly transformed box of 18 eggs... 
...I present to you...

...A FILLED box of 18 Eggs of the most delicately rolled balls of freshly zested lemon and organically produced coconut to form the most luxurious truffles!





Tah Dah.
(Actually, not an egg in sight... nor 18 filled but 12!)


 Recently, I have been reading a lot of inspiring blogs consisting of beautifully gloriously presented bakes, incorporating only good wholesome wholefoods which I can only see as being totally beneficial for the body and definitely I lifestyle I hope to adapt to mastering. One blog I had come across is one of 'Petite Kitchen' to which blogger 'Eleanor' has for me kindly contributed her well developed recipes of the wholesome vegan category to which I seem to have created a long list of 'Recipes to try'; adding so many that I never know what one to start with first! So I end up not baking anything.

However, that was until today! I made it my duty to wake up this morning and attend to my trusty food processor to attempt at this recipe found on the Petite Kitchen blog for 'Raw lemon & Coconut truffles'

As I had never made a vegan dish before or whether I was be able to allow myself to enjoy them once I had created them, I decided to avoid wasting ingredients by halving this recipe and so adapted the original one slightly.

Raw Lemon & Coconut truffles - adapted from Petite Kitchen blog for 'Raw lemon & Coconut truffles'

Ingredients:
3/4 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut
plus 1/4 cup for coating
1/2 cup ground almonds
2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil
2 tbsp honey
zest of 1/2 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
a pinch of sea salt


Method:
1. In a food processor, add all of the ingredients. Blend for 1-2 minutes, or until the mixture starts to mix together like a dough.

2. Use your hands to form small balls. Here I decided to wear a pair of plastic food gloves to protect my hands and used my scales to weigh out ~13g of dough for each ball. 

3. In a separate bowl, add the extra coconut. Once weighed, place the rolled balls in the coconut until well coated then transfer to a plate. 

# I wanted to try one of my ideas that had come to mind. I always seem to be throwing out in recycling endless amounts of cardboard boxes. So I wanted to give the likes of these some purpose, so I turned to the large 18 holed egg box. So what could I do with this??
Ahh Ha. I thought this would be perfect packaging for these lovely wholesome truffles! I cut out small squares of baking paper to place into the holes and then pop each truffle into each of the little holes. Perfect!

Place in the fridge for at least half an hour to set.

4. The truffles are able to be kept at room temperature, but I find they are best kept in the fridge.

I was chuffed that by rolling out balls weighing 13g each I managed to produce a batch of 12 which is almost half of the quantity that would be expected of making the original recipe. 
=]

Will keep for 3-4 days.

Another reason I had to make these:
*gluten free
*wheat free
*grain free
*dairy free
*refined sugar free

This too gave me even more reason to get out my Nikon camera and give a go at snapping some of my own snaps! Learning all the way as I have no experience of photography whats so ever so I do apologies for my amateur approach! =]






No comments:

Post a Comment