Thursday 6 February 2014

Warming Healthy Minestrone Soup for the family...

I Love my mum.
Recently I don’t think my head has been thinking very clearly and has been somewhat ‘cloudy’ and a tad lacklustre of energy. As a result I seem to have been rather snappy at my family which only today did I take the time to reflect on my actions and feel quite selfish and ungrateful =[
My mum has been brought down with a cold and I insisted for her to take me to BUTLERS today only for her to need to get herself into work by 12.00. Well, we happened to have got stuck in some traffic, giving her less time to prepare herself some lunch and therefore got into work a tad late. I felt bad, she has been feeling so under the weather yet always manages to help assist me in the tasks I want to do, taking time out of her day where she could be relaxing to ferry me around =[.
As I gesture of thankfulness for all she does for me I wanted to make her supper of something warm and comforting for when she got back from work – I know how she hate knowing what to cook every evening so I guess she would appreciate anything. I thought of something nutritious and warming like 'MINESTRONE SOUP'
I took a look at these for inspiration:
The English Kitchen
Jamie Oliver
Taste.au
Taste.au
The Guardian
Food 52
Taste.au

After browsing through various recipes, I finally amended a custom version to work with both what ingredients the family likes and what we have in the cupboard. Weighing up how many tins of tomatoes, should I add baked beans to replace normal beans as mum doesn’t like beans, potato no potato, rice or pasta?? So many decisions but eventually I conjured up this little recipe…

Bee's Minestrone Soup 

Ingredients
Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Garlic Clove, sliced
1 Brown Onion, chopped
1 Carrot, diced
1 Celery Stick, chopped largish
Tsp Oregano
1/2 Tsp Thyme
1/2 Tsp Rosemary
1/2 Tsp Basil
1 Bay leaf
4 New potatoes, diced
400g Chopped Tomatoes
1 Beef stock cube
1 Veg stock cube
500ml Water
400g Baked Beans
5 Mushrooms, sliced
Additions:
Peas
Spaghetti
Peppers

Method

1. Heat a large pot over a medium heat and add a lug of olive oil. Throw in the garlic, onion, carrots, celery, oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil and bay leaf and cook slowly for about 15 minutes, stirring now and then, until the vegetables have softened.

2. Add the tomatoes, potato, beef cube, veg cube and water then cover with a lid and bring everything slowly to the boil. Add 1/2 a tin of baked beans and simmer on a low heat (2.) for 15 mins. Add the mushrooms and other half of the beans and continue to simmer on a low heat for a further 1.5 hours, checking regularly.

3. After that, add the additions and cook for 10 more minutes, until the pasta is cooked. 

4. If the soup is too thick for you after cooking the pasta, thin it with a little more broth or water.

Finish with optional grated cheese to top the soup.




No comments:

Post a Comment