Friday 27 September 2013

Vegan healthy snack to try: LEMON & BLUEBERRY OAT BARS

LEMON & BLUEBERRY OAT BARS - COURTESY OF mouthwatering foods blog

 I had that baking feeling. But I guess I should be focusing on creating baked products which I too would be willing to try. I think my mother may feel a bit fed up of me making everything for them and not enjoying it myself. Its just my head makes up excuses every time to prevent me from doing so. But not this time! So I gave this recipe a good go =]

 I halved the recipe again and instead of placing it into a square tin I placed it in a loaf tin as I believed that the oat mixture would not cover the area of the base. On analysis of this, the distribution of the oat mixture into the loaf tin was much reduced which therefore created a thicker oat layer which was too thick I think for my liking. Never mind.

I created the top 'Jelly' layer and I think it was a success even after my substitutions I had made to the original recipe. Swapping the maple syrup with agave nectar.

Popped the loaf into the oven once I had spread the topping over the oat base and didn't bother with having a crumble topping on top as I loved the colour of the deep purple jelly layer.


LEMON & BLUEBERRY OAT BARS - adapted recipe from the mouthwatering foods blog

For Crumble:
1 cup quick oats (make your own by quickly pulsing rolled oats in a blender or food processor)
1/4 cup oat flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 cup applesauce
half a 1/4 cup agave nectar
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tbsp lemon zest
1/2 tsp vanilla

For Filling:
1 cup frozen blueberries
1.5 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp maples syrup
1/2 tbsp lemon juice

Method

  1. Preheat oven to 190'C.  Line a loaf tin with baking paper.
  2. Combine oats, oat flour, and cinnamon in a large bowl.  Add applesauce, maple syrup, lemon juice and zest, and vanilla to bowl.  Mix until a thick dough forms.
  3. Press all of crumble dough into the bottom of prepared pan.  Make sure the dough covers the entire area of the pan.
  4. Set aside.
For Filling:
  1. Place all ingredients in a small saucepan.  Bring to a boil over high heat.  Reduce heat and let simmer a couple minutes until a sort of jelly has formed.  Remove from heat and let mixture cool.
  2. Once cooled, pour over prepared crust, and spread into an even layer. 
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.  Let cool completely before cutting in bars and serving.
  4. Makes 9 bars. Store in fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment