Wednesday 2 October 2013

Chilli Con Carne without the carne - Vegan friendly =]


I fancied something spicy and I guess this recipe did just that =]
I had this for a couple of reasons:
1. I wanted to try kidney beans
2. I wanted to challenge myself to serve this with rice as well as knowing the beans are included within this dish.
Unfortunately I could not manage the second point made to myself. It was quite late me making this and I felt too anxious to try. However, I was able to make two portions of this so when I come to have this as a freezer jobby I will do my best to have some rice with it too - cause that's normal bee!!!

Vegetarian Chilli on a bed of lettuce leaves and spinach

Chilli Con Carne without the carne - Courtesy of Mongolian kitchen blog

Adapted recipe:

Ingredients
For the chilli:
1 small onions, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp dried coriander
1/2 tsp mixed herbs (or just oregano, or marjoram)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1/2 tsp tomatoe purée
1/4 Cup cooking red wine 
1/4 cup vegetable stock
1 tin of kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 large red pepper, cut into strips
4 mushrooms, sliced
Chopped coriander
Method
1. Cook the onions, around 5 minutes.
2. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
3. Add the cumin, chilli, paprika, coriander and fry for 1 minute to release the flavours.
4. Add the tomato puree and cook for a further 1 minute
5. Add the wine and turn up the heat for a minute to burn off the alcohol.
6. Add the tinned tomatoes, vegetable stock, mixed herbs and red pepper.
7. Season with salt and pepper and allow to cook for 10 minutes.
8. Add the kidney beans and mushrooms and allow to simmer for a further 10 minutes.
9. Add the coriander last and serve. 

No comments:

Post a Comment