Monday 7 October 2013

I think I may have found the secret recipe for thicky tomato sauce which clings to my fear food - Pasta

On the Friday evening I had made this tomato sauce to use to coat some zucchini pasta I made with my handy mandolin device =] It just feels so satisfying to shred in such an easy way to create what seems to be perfectly julienne strips of lovely vegetables. 

I happened to make a rather large batch but due to having too many things on my mind of what I needed to get done I forgot to store it in the fridge and accidentally left it on the hob in the saucepan. Well, I guess supper is sorted! Tomato sauce it is!

I had some prawns left over from my fish pie and decided to try two things - 
1. Big pasta twists
2. Rice noodles - as this did go well last time with the prawns I made before.

I felt I may be able to manage the pasta as it was very similar to what I challenged in hospital with 'Quorn balls' - I must say I never was keen on the Quorn balls - I think it is a texture thing =/ Instead I opted for the prawns but nevertheless it was very similar.
I went half and half with the noodles and pasta as I felt this was easier to manage mentally.  
My bowl consisting of Shredded lettuce topped with half big pasta in tomato sauce and rice noodle in tomato sauce; spiced with hot chilli powder and cumin with the additional peppers and mange tout. Topped with handful of rocket and a sprig of basil.

A close up of my dish

Now I feel greedy - but it was tasty.
Healthy tomato sauce - Courtesy of (I hate to admit it) the babycentre website 

This recipe was adapted to accommodate to my own taste as follows: 

Ingredients
½ small red onion, chopped 
¼ small butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, and grated 
1 carrot, peeled and grated 
1 14-oz. can crushed tomatoes 
1⁄2 cup vegetable stock 
1 Tbs. tomato paste 
1 tsp. Agave nectar
Pepper 
Taste the difference big pasta twists - now sold out =[

Preparations
1. Sauté the onion, squash, and carrot until soft but not browned, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, partially cover, and let simmer until thickened, about 30 minutes. Season to taste with a little pepper (or I added Cumin and Hot chilli powder)

2. Let cool slightly, then blend to a puree using a hand blender or food processor. 
Note: The sauce can be frozen in individual portions; when needed, thaw for 1 hour at room temperature, or in a microwave for 30 to 60 seconds.

3. To serve, cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to the pan, then stir in the pasta sauce (with added prawns, sweet peppers and mange tout (optional)).

As I tried this sauce I was astonished by how amazingly similar I had got it to the one I had tried in hospital; and so the secret is to add vegetables to the tinned tomatoes being the butternut squash and carrot and blend it to a puree to create a nice, luscious and thick consistency. 

No comments:

Post a Comment