Saturday, 12 October 2013
Super healthy bowl of goodness! Fresh, crunchy prawn and Bulgar wheat salad
That is all I can say. This dish was so tasty if I should say so myself =]
It was a dish that had been adapted from a recipe I had found online - a little blog called Drizzle & Dip.
The recipe was for lentil and cous cous salad with a soy, ginger and lime dressing but I adapted it to my tasting as I had left over some prawns which needed to be used up. So here it is...
Prawn & Bulgar salad with soy, ginger and lime dressing - adapted from the recipe link above^
30g Bulgar Wheat
350ml Vegetable stock
1/2 red onion finely chopped
1/2 red or yellow pepper finely chopped
1 celery stalk finely chopped
a wedge of cucumber chopped into small pieces (about 3/4 cup)
a few spring onions sliced (as many as you like)
a handful of mung bean sprouts (add a lovely crunch)
a handful of mange tout cut into thin pieces
1 carrot, Julienne cut
optional - broccoli florets
1 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lemon/lime juice
1/2 fresh garlic clove crushed
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1/2 tsp chopped green chilli
1. Pour the stock over the bulgar in a small saucepan and allow it to simmer for about 10 mins until the liquid has been absorbed.
2. Steam cook the pepper, red onion and celery.
3. To the prawns, add the soy sauce dressing and leave to marinade for 10 mins or longer.
4. Remove the prawns, reserving the marinade, and add to the steamer. Add frozen broccoli and continue to steam. For the last few mins, add the carrot and mange tout to retain its crispness.
5. Once cook, drain the steamer water from beneath the basket and transfer all of the veggies from the basket to the pan. Transfer the prawns over to the small saucepan containing the absorbed bulgar wheat and then add the reserved marinade and mix.
6. Add the bulgar mixture to the vegetables, adding shredded lettuce and cucumber and serve in a bowl. Garnish with sage and basil leaves.