Saturday 11 January 2014

Warm & Beetroot, Tuna, Bulgur, Cauliflower rice salad

After spending a short time visiting my grandparent came the dreaded thought of knowing what to cook for myself this evening! Argh I’m just confused at the moment with my head that I never really know what I fancy or feel too tired to do something that’s considered as quite a challenge. Thinking back to what I know is in the fridge I remembered I still have 4 lovely beetroots to use up for something. Ahhh… but what can I conjure up that’s quick and tasty and preferably requires minimal thinking?

I pondered through various foodie sites when suddenly I had come across one which sounded perfect for how my appetite was feeling.  It includes Tuna as my protein portion, Beetroot as my what I fancied trying portion and Bulgur/cauliflower rice as my carb portion. Yeah, my head feels satisfied plus as a bonus it incorporated vinegar which I fancied that tangy taste; hence time to cook! I made supper a tad earlier than I would normally had done it for but to be honest I just felt entirely exhausted mentally but knowing that I have so many more this I wanted to get through tonight – one being the write up of this recipe on my blog! =]



Warm & Beetroot, Tuna, Bulgur, Cauliflower rice salad – adapted from the blog ‘Narcissismis Necessary

Ingredients

½ Red onion, sliced
1/2 can of tuna in brine, drained
2 beetroot, sliced
3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
20 grams of bulgur wheat
2 carrots, grated
5 cauliflower florets, grated (if frozen, defrost slightly in the micro before grating)

Ingredients

1.    In a medium saucepan, steam fry the red onion until soft and then add in the tuna and cook till slightly crisp on the edges. Set aside.

2.    In the same pan, pour enough water to cover the amount of beetroot slices, then add the 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.

3.    Throw in the beetroots, cover and let them simmer for about 30 minutes. Cook longer if you want the beetroots to be softer.

4.    Take the beetroot slices out and you’re now left with a deep purplish red liquid. Pour it away if there’s too much, leaving an amount enough to cook the bulgur wheat in. Cook the bulgur in the liquid.

5.    Next, add the tuna & onion mixture, cauliflower rice, carrot and beetroots into the saucepan with the absorbed bulgur wheat and mix thoroughly through.


6.    Into the serving bowl, place a handful of curly kale into the bowl and microwave on high until wilted slightly. Remove from the microwave and serve up the beetroot salad on top of the kale and serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment